Skip to Content

Complaints about us

On this Page

We are committed to providing high-quality services and improving the way we work.

If you are unhappy with a service we have provided you can tell us about it.

We’d like to know your thoughts on whether we:

  • acted professionally
  • communicated well with you
  • progressed your complaint in a timely way and applied reasonable timeframes
  • provided our services and resources in an accessible way.

When we receive a complaint about our services, we will:

  • listen to you
  • clarify your concerns and how you think we can resolve them
  • identify what we may be able to do to address your concerns and any next steps, and
  • consider how we can use your feedback to improve our services.

We will treat you in a respectful and courteous manner, and we expect that you do the same.

How negative feedback helps us learn

We keep a record of complaints about us. That data is then used to identify how we can improve our performance and service delivery.

Please note:

  • If you want to complain about a decision we have made on a complaint, access our internal review page.
  • If you are complaining about a decision we have made on a complaint and are also unhappy with our service, we will work with you to identify which process fits best.
  • We cannot provide financial compensation in response to negative feedback.

If your complaint about us is about a privacy breach please let us know as soon as possible as these types of complaints have specific requirements.

Our process — service complaints

Step 1 — talk to us to see if we can resolve your complaint

If your complaint is about a file we are handling, please speak to the person at our office you have been dealing with first. It’s important to do this soon after the event you are concerned about (preferably within two weeks).

You don’t have to put your concerns in writing, but it can help if you want us to consider any other documents or materials.

It also helps if you set out the reason for your complaint about our service and how you think we can resolve it. For example, you may want an apology because we did not return a phone call or an explanation about a delay. Otherwise, you may just want to let us know about an issue but not be involved further.

If the person handling your file (or their manager) can’t resolve your complaint informally then you or our staff can ask for your concerns to be escalated (see Step 2).

Important: If your concerns are about an event more than three months ago, we will still consider if it identifies any improvement opportunities but may not take any further action. We will manage historic concerns on a case-by-case basis.

Step 2 — what to do if your complaint can’t be resolved

If we can’t resolve your complaint about us informally, or you are not comfortable discussing the issue with the staff member you were dealing with you can:

  • ask for your concerns to be escalated to our Manager, Quality Assurance and Review
  • lodge a formal complaint about our services by:
    • Emailing us at:
    • Calling us on 03 9679 8001 or free call 1300 796 344 and ask to speak with our Manager, Quality Assurance and Review.

Our Quality Assurance and Review team will independently consider the issues you have raised. As part of this process, we may need to discuss the issue with the relevant staff member you have been dealing with or their manager.

If we can, we will continue to advance any other work already in progress. For example, if we are working on resolving your dispute with your lawyer, we will try to keep your file active while also reviewing your complaint about us.


Outcomes will depend on the circumstances, and may include:

  • an apology;
  • information;
  • a referral;
  • technical assistance; or
  • changes to our processes, policies or procedures.

We do not share details of staff related outcomes externally. However, if we identify staff behaviour that does not meet our expectations, we will take appropriate and proportionate steps to address it.


  • We cannot offer financial compensation as an outcome.
  • We do not externally share any actions relating to individual staff members.

In some cases, we may decide to end our process without reaching a conclusion. This can happen if:

  • you withdraw your complaint about us
  • court matters relevant to your concerns are initiated
  • we find that there is not enough evidence to continue our assessment
  • we can’t access information we need to complete our assessment
  • we can’t engage effectively with you or a relevant party. Examples of conduct that may result in us taking this approach include engaging in disruptive or obstructive behaviour or inappropriate conduct towards our staff.

Other services

Victorian Ombudsman

If we can’t resolve your complaint about us, or you are not comfortable with raising your complaint with us directly, you may want to contact the Victorian Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can examine how we handled your complaint, but cannot change our decision on your complaint.


If you believe our staff, the Commissioner or the Board have engaged in serious misconduct, such as corruption, you will need to make a complaint to the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC). IBAC’s website has information about the most appropriate organisation to complain to depending on your issue.

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

We are committed to treating people:

  • fairly and in a manner that promotes tolerance;
  • in a manner that respects their rights and freedoms under the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.

If you’ve experienced discrimination, victimisation, sexual harassment, racial or religious vilification and you cannot resolve the matter with us, you can make a complaint to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.


We are committed to protecting the community’s information privacy. Our Privacy Policy sets the framework for information privacy and outlines the structures for managing information privacy within the VLSB+C, particularly the handling of personal information. You can also contact the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner if you can’t resolve the matter.

Last updated on
* Indicates required field
Back to top